The Scotiabank GM Visa Infinite Card Review
With 5% GM Earnings accrued from all purchases made with the card, combined with the fact that these rewards never expire, drivers can pile up a significant discount on their next Chevrolet, Buick, GMC or Cadillac vehicle. These benefits are brought to members without an annual fee in the first year.
At a Glance:
- Get 5% GM Earnings (rewards) on the first $10,000 spent annually
- Earn 2% GM Earnings afterward with no limits
- Redeem GM Earnings for discounts on new or leased GM vehicles (Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, Cadillac, etc.)
- Earnings do not expire
- *No annual fee for the first year
- Enjoy traveller’s insurance for medical, rental car and trip interruption
- Protect purchases with warranty extensions and more
- Receive 20% off vehicle rentals at AVIS
The Scotiabank GM Visa Infinite card is a perfect fit for those who intend to purchase a vehicle in the near (or distant) future. General Motors’ reward points system transfers $1 of GM Earnings to $1 off the sticker price of a new vehicle or lease. With 5% GM Earnings accrued from all purchases made with the card, combined with the fact that these rewards never expire, drivers can pile up a significant discount on their next Chevrolet, Buick, GMC or Cadillac vehicle. These benefits are brought to members without an annual fee in the first year.
Additionally, the GM Visa Infinite provides cardholders with travel emergency medical insurance, trip interruption insurance, flight delay insurance, insurance against lost baggage, travel accidents, and even damage to rental vehicles. Newly purchased items’ manufacturer warranties are extended up to an additional year.
The card’s most notable limitation is that its 5% accrual rate applies only to the first $10,000 spent annually. Afterwards, purchases earn GM Rewards at a 2% rate, which is still relatively high. The 5% rate returns at the start of a new year.
Why We Like It:
- Fast Earnings: Initial promotional rewards rates for most rewards/cash back cards typically end after the first 3-6 months, or after spending as little as $300. But the 5% rate for this card can be used every year in perpetuity. There is no ceiling on the amount of GM Earnings one can collect, nor is there an expiration date, meaning a customer could potentially save up for years and then purchase a vehicle with only their accrued GM Earnings.
- Variety of Brands: General Motors is the parent company of several of the best vehicle manufacturers operating today, including Cadillac, GMC, Buick and Chevrolet. Customers have their choice of redeeming GM Earnings on any model in this range, from small economical city cars to heavy-duty pickup trucks and even sports cars.
- *No Annual Fee: For their first year, cardholders will not have to worry about paying an annual fee for using the Scotiabank GM Visa Infinite card. During their second year and onwards, the annual fee costs $79.
- Traveller Safety: While vacationing or on a business trip, cardholders are protected with an array of comprehensive insurance features.
- Purchase Protections: Goods that come with a manufacturer’s warranty have the warranty period doubled for up to an extra year, and items are also protected for 90 days against damage and theft.
- Rental Discounts: Keeping to the card’s theme of automotive benefits, members are eligible to receive a discount of up to 20% off when renting a car at AVIS.
Is It Worth It?
The significant savings that can be redeemed on vehicle purchases make this card the perfect accompaniment for those planning to purchase a car. While other cards may be a reasonable way to get a fraction of the financing necessary for a new vehicle, this card’s rewards structure is more directly suited to vehicles, and it also provides a host of other benefits as well.
This is a statement from Scotia regarding the current promotion: We will waive the initial annual fee for the primary card and each additional supplementary card for the first year (the “Offer”). Offer applies to new Accounts only that are opened by June 30, 2018 (the “Offer End Date”). Any additional supplementary cards must be issued by June 30, 2018, to qualify for the offer. Offer applies only to new Scotiabank credit card accounts opened by the Offer End Date. Former or current Scotiabank credit cardholders that transfer from an existing Scotiabank credit card account or re-open a closed Scotiabank credit card account are excluded from this Offer. Offer may be changed or extended and cannot be combined with any other offer.
The preferred annual fee is $79 for the primary card and $39 for each additional supplementary card. Rates and fees are subject to change.